It is important to learn how to prepare coconut oil and coconut flour if you are following a ketogenic diet, since coconut oil and coconut flour are key low carb ingredients that appear in most recipes.
The flour contains low amounts of carbohydrates in fact a hundred grams of coconut flour contains 8g of carbohydrates.
The oil also a medium chain triglycerides (MCT) which is a great fat burner.
Preparing coconut oil and flour is quite easy and especially of importance because you can then be sure you are having an organic, 100% pure oil and flour.
As a young girl growing up in the south-south region of Nigeria, coconut trees grow in every nook and cranny of my area. Therefore a lot of our meals were prepared from coconut, even the oil from coconut was used as a body moisturizer.
I always assumed every young lady knew just how to prepare coconut oil. It came as a surprise to me that this was actually a skill which I learned from my mother and had always taken for granted.
Whenever I am asked where I get coconut oil from and I simply tell them, I make it myself.
Today, you will also learn how to make oil and flour from just a few coconuts.
How to prepare coconut oil and coconut flour
Prep Time: 2 days.
Cook Time: 1 hour
You’ll Get: 200ml of Coconut Oil And 500g of Coconut Flour
- 5 Large sized dry Coconuts
- Water as needed
You will also need:
- A Non stick pan
- A few large bowls
- Fine cotton cloth or cheese cloth
100 g of Coconut Flour contains 9 g of carbohydrates.
- You’ll need 5 large very matured dry coconuts.
- Crack them open with a machete.
- Take out the white flesh out of the dry shell with a sharp knife.
- Carefully peel off the brown part of the white flesh using a knife.
- Now grate the coconut after which you blend to a very smooth consistency. Or you take to a commercial mill ( where you can grind maize, beans, tomato etc.) to get a professional job done.
- Add about 500ml of water to the blended coconut and mix using your hands.
- Sieve out the liquid into a large bowl.
- Repeat Steps 6 & 7 till the milk removed as much as you can.
- Pour the chaff into a fine cotton cloth.
- Squeeze out any leftover milk.
- The milk or liquid is put in the fridge overnight to allow the oil float to the top.
- The chaff will be used for the flour.
- Spread out the chaff on an oven tray.
- Dry either with a warm oven or under the sun.
- When the chaff is dry, sieve with a fine mersh.
- The flour is ready! Store in a ziplock bag in the fridge.
To make the Coconut Oil
- By the next day, the oil must have floated to the top.
- Using a perforated spoon, take out the solidified oil at the top into a non-stick pan.
- Put the pan on low heat and allow the water to evaporate.
- Strain off the oil and bottle it.
There you have it, 100% pure organic coconut oil and coconut flour.
Of course you can increase the quantity of coconuts to get more oil and flour.
Check out our other Keto compliant recipes here.
Hope to meet you there!