I have discovered the easiest, in fact, the only almond bread recipe you’ll ever need while on the ketogenic diet and I’d love to share it with you.
Several months ago, I started my ketogenic lifestyle and eating a low carb diet was part of it. Life without bread as we know it was simply unbelievable if not near impossible. thus began my search for a low carb bread.
My Search for an Almond Bread Recipe
I started my search from the large chain supermarkets, and all I was offered was the whole wheat bread. I kept explaining that I was to have only 20 – 50 grams of carbs per day. My journey for a low carb bread moved on to the bakeries, still no luck.
Then I decided to go in search of the recipe to make one myself. Initially, getting the almond flour was difficult so I made my first keto bread using coconut flour which I prepared myself.
Learn how you can make coconut oil and flour at home here.
The coconut flour low carb bread was delicious (get the recipe here) but for variety, I kept trying out several low carb bread recipes till I found the one I’m about to share with you.
Tips and Tricks to Succeed with a Low Carb Bread Recipe
If you are familiar with baking bread, you’ll notice that the regular bread recipes use wheat flour. This contains gluten which gives bread it’s stretchy or soft texture. So to make almond flour behave like regular wheat flour, you use eggs for structure, protein, and air.
Secondly, When using egg whites, make sure to whisk the egg whites until there is no more liquid. When peaks are formed like you want to make a meringue, it is ready for use. Failure to do this will cause your bread to flatten out. You’ll end up with a thick dense loaf of bread which I’m sure you don’t want.
Almond Flour Bread Recipe
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 – 50 Minutes
- 2 Cups Almond Flour
- 8 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoonful fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoonful Baking powder
- A half cup of coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
You will also need:
- 2 Mixing bowls
- Parchment paper
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Bread pan
- An oven
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees F or 180 degrees C.
- Line the bottom of the bread pan with parchment paper. ( No need to oil the pan.)
- Separate the yolks from 6 eggs.
- Set the egg whites in a separate mixing bowl.
- Break open the remaining 2 eggs, then add to the egg yolk.
- Using a fork, beat the eggs yolks till thoroughly mixed.
- To this add the coconut oil, almond flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- Add the freshly squeezed lemon juice to the egg whites.
- Whisk very well until the entire liquid becomes foamy. (The is crucial to the success of your almond flour bread.)
- It’s time now to fold in the whisked egg white to the previously set aside batter.
- Add in batches and mix thoroughly.
- Empty the mixture into the lined bread tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 – 50 Minutes.
- Your bread is ready when it is light brown and a toothpick pricked at the center comes out smooth without batter on it.
Here is hoping you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. I especially enjoy it toasted. I’ve used it severally for sandwiches.
Meanwhile, my friends over at Tasteaholics recently created a series of ecookbooks, in which each and every recipe can be made using only 5 ingredients. If that’s not already useful, all the recipes are 5 grams of net carbs or fewer! Talk about a no-brainer.
You can choose 1 breakfast, 1 lunch and 1 dinner from their Keto in Five cookbooks and know you’re under your daily carb limit for the day. You can get the whole bundle or each book separately at trylowcarb.com.
I would love to invite you to join our Facebook support group of about 4000 women – The Weight Loss Mamas, for more tips and tricks on how to achieve weight loss.
To your success!