How to Prepare Cabbage Moi – Moi
Cabbage moi-moi is the keto variant of the regular Nigerian moi-moi.
Moi- moi is a savoury pudding made from beans (cow – pea). It can be eaten for breakfast or dinner, or as an accompaniment to rice especially at parties. Beans is a protein rich food but the carb content is quite high and can easily take you out of ketosis. In this recipe, cabbage replaces beans in the regular moi-moi recipe.
Remember that in the ketogenic diet, the aim is to get into AND remain in ketosis so that we convert our body into a fat burning machine that uses fat as its source of energy as against carbohydrate.
It is quite an easy meal to prepare and use in meal prepping. Meal prepping is a key success factor in most successful weight loss programs. I do encourage you to prepare your meals ahead of time and store them properly (Meal Prepping).
Cabbage Moi – Moi Recipe
Prep Time: 20 Minutes.
Cook Time: 45 Minutes.
- Cabbage – 500g
- Eggs – 6 (2 boiled, 4 raw)
- Smoked Titus or Mackerel fish – 1 large
- Palm oil – half a cup
- Onion – 1 bulb
- Fresh pepper – 2
- Sweet bell pepper (Tatashe) – 4
- Ginger – a piece
- Garlic – a clove
- Turmeric – a tiny piece
- seasoning cubes – 2
- Curry powder – a pinch
- Thyme – a pinch
- Ground crayfish – 1 table spoon
- salt to taste
You will also need:
- Steamer or Pot
- Bowls or small basins
- Moi-moi plates or mini-loaf tins
- Cooking spoon
- Wash, measure and chop up 500g of cabbage into a blender.
- Add enough water, blend to a very smooth consistency and sieve out the water.
- Clean the smoked fish, and use half. Wash the sweet bell peppers and remove the seeds, dice up two and set aside two. Wash the onion, share it into two, dice up half and keep half. Wash the fresh pepper, ginger, garlic, and turmeric.
- Add the ingredients in the picture above (6) to the blended and sieved cabbage in picture 2 back into the blender and blend a second time without adding water.
- Prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour all the above ingredients into the mix in step 7.
- Mix and whisk very well. Do not add water. The raw eggs will bind and provide added moisture.
- Scoop into tins and garnish with the remaining smoked fish, boiled eggs and diced sweet bell peppers.
- Cover the tins.
- Place the tins in a steamer or steam using a pot for 45 minutes.
- The moi moi is ready when it comes together, that is no longer a pouring consistency.
- Serve and enjoy.
The ketogenic lifestyle is quite interesting. I am really loving experimenting with Nigerian variants of keto compliant meals. Try out the cabbage swallow if you like eba. Amala can be substituted with the egg plant swallow. Yam porridge lover, try out the pumpkin porridge/pottage.
Try out some of these recipes and tell me how you like it.
Are you on a weight loss journey? Join our Facebook group and meet with over 200 ladies all having fun together while losing weight.
See you there,