How to Prepare Cabbage Swallow (Keto Sustitute For Eba)
Cabbage Swallow Recipe
Cabbage swallow, what is that?
Eba, amala, semovita, wheat and pounded yam we know are staple traditional Nigerian dishes. A day hardly goes by without one of these appearing on the table during lunch or dinner, there is nothing wrong with that. In fact, we love our swallows.
But then, when one embarks upon a weight loss journey everything changes. You cannot afford to take in the amount of carbs contained in these swallows, so most times we tow the path of abstinence. And trust me when I say that a typical Nigerian can’t stay too long without swallow. Of course, taking up the ketogenic or low-carb lifestyle becomes really difficult.
But, there is a great, low carb substitute which will help us sustain the keto lifestyle AND still have our beloved swallow. There is a Nigerian saying “cunny man die, cunny man bury am”.
Presenting ……… (drum roll please)………the cabbage swallow !!!
The cabbage swallow takes the place of Eba, amala, semovita, wheat and pounded yam. You can take it with any keto compliant soup which is any soup that does not contain thickeners such as yam, coco yam, etc.
How to prepare cabbage swallow
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 7 minutes
- 1 kg Cabbage
- A binding agent like Psyllium husk or CMC (carboxy methyl cellulose) powder – food grade.
You will also need:
- A pan
- Mixing bowls or small basins
- Measuring cups
- Cheese cloth or very fine white cotton lining
A portion size of cabbage swallow (200 grams) contains about
- 9 grams of carbs.
- 40 Calories
- Clean and wash the cabbage thoroughly.
2. Cut it up into tiny pieces for blending.
3. Put into a blender add water, then blend into a smooth consistency.
4. Pour the blended cabbage into a fine sieve and allow to drain.
5. Empty into the cheese cloth and squeeze out as much water as you can.
6. Put the almost dry chaff into the pan and put on fire.
7. Add 2 Tbsp of psyllium husk or CMC powder to the chaff.
8. Now mix and turn as you would make semovita or amala till it thickens and binds up together. If you want a thicker consistency, just add more binder.
9.Smoothen it and serve with your soup.
You can prepare and store in the freezer for up to a week and each time you want to eat, just warm it up. Cabbage swallow can be used for meal prepping.
Do you know that swallow can also be made from the eggplant? Watch out for that post.
UPDATE: Find out how to prepare the eggplant swallow, the Keto substitute for Amala here.
Meanwhile, try out this recipe and tell me how it went.
I would love to invite you to join our Facebook support group of about 4000 women – The Weight Loss Mamas, for more tips and tricks on how to achieve weight loss.
To your success!