Pumpkin Porridge/Pottage Recipe (Keto substitute for Yam Porridge/Pottage)
Pumpkin Porridge/Pottage has become one of my favorite meals ever since I discovered it.
I used to enjoy eating yam, be it boiled, fried and especially the porridge. Then, I decided to lose weight through the low carb, specifically the ketogenic path. Suddenly, no more yam! It was no joke. Yam is high in carbohydrates.
In the course of carrying out some research, I discovered the keto substitute for yam – pumpkin.
Pumpkin can be used in several ways, in fact it can be boiled and eaten with a sauce, made into a porridge etc. Today, I’ll show you how to prepare the pumpkin porridge.
Pumpkin Porridge/Pottage Recipe
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 1 medium sized pumpkin
- 1 medium sized roasted fish
- Beef – 250g
- Cow head – 250g
- Offals – 250g
- Palm oil – Quarter of a cup
- Ground Cray-fish – Half a cup
- Cameroon pepper – 1 teaspoonful
- Stock cubes – 3
- Scent leaves – finely chopped – to taste
- Offor – 4 tablespoonfuls
You will also need:
- Chopping board
- Small basin
- Wash the pumpkin thoroughly.
- Cut it open.
- Remove the seeds.
- Peel off the hard outer back and cut up to small pieces.
- Wash again and put into a pot.
- Add water up to the level of the pumpkin pieces, being careful not to add too much water.
- Put on fire with the pot covered and allow to boil, checking often as it gets soft quite quickly. You will know it is soft when a fork can easily pass through it.
- Steam & season your beef, cow head and offals till soft.
- Once the pumpkin is soft, add the rest of the ingredients except the scent leaves and stir well.
- Cover the pot and allow to boil and thicken. The offor helps with the thickening.
- Once it thickens, add the scent leaves and taste for salt and pepper. Can add more if needed. Your pumpkin porridge is ready.
- Serve and enjoy.
The left overs can be stored in the freezer for a days or as part of meal prepping.
Eating a low carb diet in Nigeria is very possible. You can even have your swallow. Yes, you heard me right. Learn how to prepare the low carb cabbage swallow and your weight loss journey will be deliciously satisfying. You’ll lose weight, eating the food you love.
Here is to our weight loss success!